Austin Fun with Teens
HappiFamli, Senior Teen Correspondent
July 17, 2018
Austin is such a family-friendly city. There are endless ways to entertain kids of all ages here in town. We’ve rounded up a few ways you can enjoy Austin with your almost adult children- TEENS!
After a spending a day doing a few of these activities with your teenager, they’ll likely refer to you as a “cool mom” (or dad).
- Our number one idea? Urban Adventure Quest! This interactive game takes you on a walking tour of Austin. Find clues on your smartphone and walk around searching for the answer. Working together to solve the clues = bonding time. Teens love smartphones. This is a total win-win.
- We couldn’t make a list without including live music, seeing as we live in the “Live Music Capital of the World”. Teens love music and there are plenty of opportunities to see it together here. Blues On The Green, Unplugged At The Grove, even just music on the patio of Central Market. Live music is everywhere here in town.
- Check out some funky Austin sites like the Cathedral of Junk or the HOPE Outdoor Gallery. The graffiti park will be moving soon, so check its Facebook page for updates on that.
- Chill out at a local watering hole. Barton Springs is a no-brainer. It has the best people-watching and diving board. You could also make reservations to go see Hamilton Pool or Blue Hole in Wimberley for more of a road trip adventure.
- Challenge them to a rock-climbing competition at the Austin Bouldering Project.
- Treat yo’ self with some sweet treats at one of Austin’s local bakeries.
- Take them to see a movie at the Alamo Drafthouse and share some fried pickles and a cookie shake. Free movies play all summer long in various Austin parks, schedule here. Or show them what a drive-in movie is like at the Blue Starlite Mini Urban Drive-In.
- Try SUP’ing (stand up paddleboard) around Lady Bird Lake, or drive a little bit outside of Austin and take surfing lessons at NLand Surf Park.